Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cameraless filmmaking

This is my first time creating cameraless film. I had seen in a few times prior and really enjoyed some, while others felt strange and awkward. As a concept I always enjoyed the art form as it takes the primary tool of cinema and removes it entirely. It is as if you had to paint on a canvas without a brush. It really is a very unique creation process that cannot easily be adapted to any other medium. As I had said, I had seen cameraless film before and had enjoyed some of them, but I wasn't sure how I would respond to creating it. I do like hands on activities, but am not very good at art. I have very unsteady hands and just have never been a real practical drawer or sculpture or anything of the sorts. So far though, I've had a blast working hands on with film. I can't say I'm much good at the drawing application, but other aspects of direct film I really am having a lot of fun with. Specially the magazine transfer is probably my favorite so far. Its very simple and I love making collages. If I could do anything with direct film manipulation, I would probably stick with this and a lot of found footage. That seems like the most exciting and most practical application for me. Cameraless cinema also allows (but doesn't require) you to work alone. While groups have plenty of viable applications, I typically enjoy working on projects by myself as it really allows me to focus and concentrate on exactly what I want. Also (if I were to do these projects on my own) I could spend as much time as I wanted on them, rather then worry about group or production deadlines. While I don't plan on working with film much in the future, this is one sector where I could see myself coming back to, just as a hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment