Sunday, February 28, 2010

St. Louise

Again, I really enjoy the work by the Scratch Film Junkies. This one overall felt much more rounded out and really had a personality to it. But, again, the major criticism I have with them is that it feels like the sound does much more work than the images are. Not to say that the film wasn't cool, there were plenty of cool colors, textures, and movements in the film, but the soundtrack was just so overwhelming and good, I felt like it was overpowering the images. I also always like how they incorporate other snippets of film into their piece. Even thinking back to it now, I only can recall a few distinct images. I remember the plane, and then some cropped out faces, and a lot of blues, but I cannot really see the film. The music however, clearly stands out and I have a distinct memory of it. Of course, it could just be that that music struck me in such away and doesn't affect all people equally, but the fact that I have the same criticism about both the films I've seen by them, makes me think otherwise. Again, I really enjoy their films a lot, but I just wish the took less popular or powerful music and try to make the image more effective. I think had I seen the film without sound I would have absorbed a lot more (obviously) and just by using music that was "worse" (but not bad) it could have actually aided the overall effect of the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment