Sunday, January 31, 2010

Synesthesia

Synesthesia is something I've become very fascinated with every since I had heard about the condition nearly a decade ago. I found it to be incredibly interesting simply from a biological point of view, just the fact that the mind could go a little haywire and sort of confuse senses. In a show I had seen about a specific type of synesthesia, some people would often hear sounds and interpret them as colors. While this condition is extremely rare and, in many cases, it was unclear how it was caused, it affected many peoples artistic skills for the better. One woman happened to become an artist, basing her art of how she perceived sounds (similar to what I read in the wiki article). Another man, on the other hand took up music. He very limited experience with instruments in his life, but after being able to convert sounds to images and shapes, he could take up several instruments easily, even mimicking music he heard almost instantly. While synesthesia is very interesting in its own right, I don't particularly like how it is applied to the art world. Art, to me, is independent of everything else. I don't think art by synesthetics should be looked at with any differently than those who don't have it, nor do I think art in the synesthetic style should be critiqued any differently than any other art. Anyone can choose to like or dislike it and that is fine, but I feel that sometimes people hold some sort of exception to it because it is either created by people with this rare condition, or it is meant to mimic it, somehow making it exceptional. Like anything else in the art world, it can be good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment